Monday, September 19, 2011

re·pur·pose = to adapt for use in a different purpose

While I'm quite certain the title of this entry is rather overtly self-explanitory, I've got my own definition of this newfound craze/trend that's raking in the big bucks (for people other than myself of course).  To me repurposing an object is simply giving it another chance, a new life, a new shine on what was once tossed into the unused/unwanted/unnecessary pile.  Ok so there's this huge group of the planet that's taking one man's trash to make it another man's treasure.  Literally.

And those who are crafty enough and business savy, well those select few can support themselves for a month one a very hefty salary with very little investment.  So here are a few things I've given a second chance at life.


Wine Glasses become Candle holders filled with lentils, split peas, and tea lights.


Empty Febreeze scent dispensers become safe, healthy, and new when filled with essential oils and water.


Old glasses dishes from Goodwill

New bathroom containers for cotton balls and q-tips with texture and paint!


I realized that in doing this, it's really not anything new for me beyond what I do everyday.  The kids I love so much are the kids that no one really loves at home.  They are kids that no one has expectations for, no one cares what they do or how they do it... but they come to my classroom and I see purpose in them.  I have expectations for them, whether or not they see it or know it.  Most are too young to understand it.  My expectations of them go far beyond making a grammatically correct sentence or saying their pre- and post-vocalic /r/ (though when they do that, I flip out with joy).  I expect them to be the absolute best.  They have high standards of behavior, manner, and performance in my classroom.   We discuss grades, we talk about their behavior issues in other classes.

To look at their faces and see nothing more than a mouth to feed is beyond me.  My kids are being re-purposed in my classroom everyday.  And those transformations are the most enlightening and gratifying to me.

A glimpse into my day:
During a review of spelling/vocabulary words with my sixth graders I was explaining the word "suffer".  I asked "How could you suffer if you don't have enough money?"
My student reponded, "Well you suffer because you can't blow it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment